National Vocational Beach Lifeguard Qualification
The Royal Life Saving Society UK (RLSS UK) has teamed up with Surf Life Saving Association (SLSA) Wales and Surf Life Saving (SLS) GB to develop a new national standard for beach lifeguarding.
The National Vocational Beach Lifeguard Qualification (NVBLQ) was launched in April along with new resources.
The NVBLQ complies with the International Life Saving Federation beach competency framework. It will be offered by all three organisations and is endorsed by the National Water Safety Forum and the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI).
The NVBLQ will be recognised and promoted by RLSS UK, SLS GB, SLSA Wales as the national standard for vocational beach lifeguarding.
The NVBLQ course is a minimum of 40 hours long followed by a practical assessment on beach theory, life support, first aid, swimming pool practical and open water practical.
Upon qualifying with the NVBLQ, the certificate is valid for two years from the date of successful completion.
NVBLQ Course Pre-Requisites
Every candidate attending a NVBLQ course must:
- Be 16-years-old or over at the time of the assessment
- Have a good level of fitness
- Surface dive to a depth of 1.5 metres
- Tread water for two minutes
- Climb out of deep water unaided and without steps
- Be competent at swimming in the sea
- Before the course, candidates must be able to swim at least 200 metres in a pool (of recommended length 25 metres, but no less than 20 metres) in five minutes or less
- For the assessment, candidates must be able to swim 400 metres in a pool (recommended 25 metres, but no less than 20 metres) in eight minutes or less using a continuous front stroke and showing urgency
The NVBLQ covers all elements of beach lifeguard theory, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), first aid, pool skills and open water skills. The course is physically demanding and will include swimming to set times and lifting. The NVBLQ is comprised of four modules and all must be successfully passed to attain the qualification.
Module 1 – Beach Lifeguarding – Knowledge and Understanding
Module 2 – Life Support and First Aid
Module 3– Ocean Skils
Module 4 – Pool Skills
The NVBLQ assessment takes place at the end of the course. It determines your competence, skills and knowledge of working as a beach lifeguard and assesses your ability to apply the skills and knowledge in a beach environment.
The assessment is split into five elements:
- Beach Lifeguard and First Aid Theory
- Life Support and First Aid
- First Aid Practical
- Ocean Skills
- Pool Skills